Job Advert for Staff Writers
The Trent, a leading online newspaper in Nigeria is looking for staff writers to join its dynamic team. As a staff writer you will be responsible for conducting research, conducting interviews, and producing well written news reports and special reports. You will also liaise with internal and external stakeholders. The role also includes proof reading, editing, and fact checking drafts written by others. The position reports to the editor of the newspaper.
- The ideal candidate should be resourceful and persistent in news reporting, and be a brilliant writer able to produce compelling, concise and error-free copy.
- You will be required to edit and proofread material in a timely manner, and often on tight deadline. In addition you will be required fact check material with multiple sources and take responsibility for producing factually correct content.
- A staff writer will proactively seek out, identify and develop compelling, timely content for publication in the newspaper.
The position is based in Lagos, Nigeria.
Education, Skills and Experience Required
- Bachelor’s degree (English, journalism, or similar major preferred)
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Ability to think strategically and systemically, understand and explain complex issues, and analyze information and translate it into persuasive, relevant messaging.
- Accuracy is critical. Must be able to check facts with multiple sources and take responsibility for producing factually correct content.
- Attention to detail, including impeccable grammar and spelling.
- Able to work as part of a team as well as independently.
- Able to demonstrate project management skills
About The Trent
The Trent was launched in December 2013 and is already a leading internet Newspaper in Nigeria and is positioned to be one of Africa’s top 3 by 2018.
The Trent is a rich mash of politics, business, technology, lifestyle, pop culture, opinion, causes, news, and editorials. The Trent covers news 24/7 from politics, to economy, to crime, world events, celebrity, fashion and style, events, red carpets, entertainment, and the city
To learn more please visit www.thetrentonline.com
If you think you are the right fit for the role of Staff Writer, then please send your application with a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.